Confidently run the timing system at your next club night by becoming a Dolphin Timing System Operator.
An accurate timing system is at the heart of all swim meets. We owe it to our swimmers to record their times accurately so that they are correctly recognised for their performance. The Dolphin wireless timing system from Colorado Time Systems is a popular choice for club nights and mini meets.
This online course will teach you how to use it so that you can run your next club night.
It is assumed that you have access to a Dolphin system that is already fully configured for routine operation.
- Hardware and software.
- Preparation before the meet day.
- Meet setup on the day.
- Routine operation and common issues.
- Basic integration with Meet Manager software.
- Detailed operation of Meet Manager software.
- Team Manager software.
- SAL online race entry system operation.
- Meet Mobile Operation.
- Timekeeper and Chief Timekeeper official duties. For this please refer to the Timekeeper course on this portal.
- Detailed initial configuration instructions for newly delivered systems.
Contents and Resources:
- 3 lessons mandatory
- Detailed training notes from Jo Wazny recommended. Note these notes include instructions for initial configuration of newly delivered systems.
- Online multiple choice theory test mandatory (approximately 15 mins)
- Link to Colorado Time System documentation optional.
This course is suitable for both individual and group study.
Successful candidates will be awarded a theory pass letter. Please note that Dolphin Timing System Operator is not an accredited technical official position. A theory pass is therefore for personal satisfaction and a public recognition of competency only.
The content can be completed in approximately 1.5 hours of study time spread over a couple of sessions, depending on prior knowledge and experience. In addition, expect to invest time gaining practical experience under supervision.
- Candidates should have access to a Dolphin system in order to gain practical experience.
- Excellent familiarity with a swim meet from an audience perspective would be a distinct advantage.
- Previous pool deck officiating experience in other roles, although not required, would be an advantage.
- Proficiency in Meet Manager is not required. This would be the natural next step after becoming proficient in Dolphin system operation.
- You can access this course via a computer, tablet or smartphone. Headphones are recommended.
- The course is divided into 3 lessons, most of which have self-assessment tests at the end. Some of the content is quite detailed so we recommend repeating some parts.
- Course completion letter may be printed on an attached computer, or retrieved later for printing or saving.
Other things to know:
- This course uses the popular Dolphin v4.3 interface. The recent v5.0 interface is not featured.
- Before working at a meet in NSW you must have Working With Children clearance. It is easy to apply for online here, valid for 5 years, and free for volunteers.
- Officials should be members of Swimming NSW. The non-swimmer category is recommended. Apply via your club registrar.
Number of successful students: