Make your next meet fun and easy to run with this short online course.
At an airport the checkin and gate staff ensure the smooth and accurate processing of travellers. At a swim meet their equivalents are the Marshals and Check Starters. These pivotal positions not only ensure the smooth running of the meet, but they also create a positive environment for swimmers, and enable accurate recording of results.
Ideal for absolute beginners. Complete in just over an hour, online here right now and free.
This course has been supplied by Swimming Metro North East. Thank you to Swimming NSW for hosting on their platform. All users of this site are welcome to use.
This course will fully prepare you to operate as a trainee Marshal and trainee Check Starter under supervision.
- Marshal and Check Starter accreditations*
- Club, Area and State level meets
*Marshal and Check Starter are separate roles that work very closely together. Marshal is also sometimes known as Clerk of Course.
- National and International meets
- Video presentation mandatory (23 mins)
- SNSW Training notes optional
- Online multiple choice theory test mandatory (approximately 20 mins)
Successful candidates will be awarded theory pass documentation. They should then gain practical experience and once ready they should arrange practical assessment and accreditation.
Marshal and Check Starter are separate roles and each require their own assessment. Because Check Starter is easier, we recommend that this is assessed first.
60 – 90 minutes approximately.
- None, although a basic familiarity with a swim meet from an audience perspective would be an advantage.
- You can access this course via a computer, tablet or smartphone. Headphones are recommended.
- Whilst we recommend that this short course is completed in one sitting, if necessary you can stop and return later.
- Assessment documentation may be printed on an attached computer, or retrieved later for printing or saving.
Other things to know:
- Before working at a meet in NSW you must have Working With Children clearance. It is easy to apply for online here, valid for 5 years, and free for volunteers.
- Officials should be members of Swimming NSW. The non-swimmer category is recommended. Apply via your club registrar.
Number of successful students: