Enable your club to run meets with official times by studying to become a Starter.
Every race needs a starter. The quality of the start can directly impact the race results. Accredited starters are highly sought after and a fundamental ingredient of every swim meet.
This course teaches all the theory for Starter level 1 (Club and Area level). It will prepare you to operate as a trainee Starter under supervision.
- Starter’s responsibilities.
- Preparations including adjusting and testing starting equipment.
- Swimming rules and infractions relating to the start.
- Starting at Club and Area level meets.
- Starting multi-class swimmers.
- Starting handicap events.
- State, National and International level meets
Contents and Resources:
- 1 lesson mandatory
- SNSW Starters Training notes recommended
- SNSW practice exercises recommended
- Swimming Australia Training notes recommended
- Multi Class notes recommended
- Handicap race notes recommended
- Online multiple choice theory test mandatory (approximately 20 mins)
This course is suitable for both individual and group study.
Successful candidates will be awarded theory pass documentation. They should then obtain considerable practical experience under expert supervision. Once they are ready assessment should be arranged with an accredited assessor, taking along their documentation. Starters are required to pass 2 practical assessments before accreditation.
The content of this course can be completed in approximately 90 mins of study time, depending on prior knowledge and experience. In addition, expect to invest 10+ hours gaining practical experience on the pool deck under supervision at a number of different meets. Candidates will want to refer back to the content of this course periodically whilst they gain experience. Once accredited, periodic recaps are recommended, especially if not regularly officiating.
- You can access this course via a computer, tablet or smartphone. Headphones are recommended.
- Whilst we recommend that this short course is completed in one sitting, if necessary you can stop and return later.
- Assessment documentation may be printed on an attached computer, or retrieved later for printing or saving.
Other things to know:
- Before working at a meet in NSW you must have Working With Children clearance. It is easy to apply for online here, valid for 5 years, and free for volunteers.
- Officials should be members of Swimming NSW. The non-swimmer category is recommended. Apply via your club registrar.
Number of successful students: